Re: [Tigers] R5 Turbo

To: "Jeffrey Nichols" <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] R5 Turbo
From: "Owain Lloyd" <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:30:26 +0100
oh, yes, they were terrible indeed.

yes, it was called the le car turbo sometimes in the us although it
was never officially sold there and none were badged 'le car'.  its
really nothing like a normal renault 5 (le car) at all.  they were
hand made by renault sport in dieppe and they only made a few
thousand, initially just to homologate it as a group 4 / group b rally
car.

the engine came out of the renault formula 1 development program and
is mid mounted driving the rear wheels through a 5 speed transaxle.
its about 10" wider than a normal renault 5 and all the suspension and
rear subframe looks like a hand made race car.  they had between 160
and 350 hp from that little 1.4l 4 cylinder, weigh well under 1000kg
and can pull about 1G through a corner.  the works group B cars with
the 350hp motors were called the 'maxi'.

so its quite a little beast!