Re: [Tigers] Rear End Gears

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rear End Gears
From: Bill Waite <fordlandia@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:43:52 -0700 (PDT)
You might want to use the calculator at this link:

http://www.corral.net/tech/gearcalc.html

I am not sure that moving from a 3.07 to 2.88 will make a huge difference.  I
was running a 3.54 in my Mark II and did change back to the original 2.88 to
reduce revs at highways speeds.  That made a big difference.  But going from
3.07 to 2.88 isn't a "huge" move, so you may not enjoy as much benefit as
you'd like.

For what it's worth, JCR Offroad in Kalamazoo, MI swapped my 3.54 back to the
original 2.88.  I had moved to a posi when I put in the 3.54, so they had to
drill out the carrier to accomodate the larger 2.88 open rear end carrier
bolts.  With all that, total cost was only $225 and it runs great (very minor
whine on deceleration at certain speeds, but not worth messing with it again
IMO).

Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI