Re: [Tigers] Crossmember removal

To: CoolVT@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Crossmember removal
From: parlanti@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:26:53 +0000
Mark,

I've done this many times and it really is quite easy. Here's how I do it:

1. Disconnect brake lines and steering shaft

2. Leave the wheels on the crossmember

3. Remove 2 of the crossmember mounting bolts
(A trick I use is to duct tape the socket onto the extension to prevent it from
being pulled off and lost in the crossmember)

4. Thread the 2 just removed bolts through 2 ends of a 3'-4' chain and into the
same holes from the opposite side inside the engine compartment. ( you may have
to chase the threads to clean them up as they tend to fill with water over
time.)

5. Put a floor jack under the front crossmemeber as far back as possible to
help the balance and just snug it up.

6. Remove the other 2 crossmember bolts

7. Using an engine hoist or chain hoist, lift the car off of the front
crossmember until it can be rolled out the front

8. Lower the car back onto jack stands.

As they say in the manual, "Installation is the reverse of removal"

Hope this helps,

Joe Parlanti

1966 Mk1A B382000026
1959 Abarth Zagato 750GT