[Tigers] Success!! ...and Filling a Tiger's Cooling System

To: Tigers Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Success!! ...and Filling a Tiger's Cooling System
From: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:40:44 -0500
Well Gang,
Last Wednesday I finally started my Tiger up after 4 years!

It cranked over and fired up the first time much to my relief (after fixing a
couple fuel leaks, and a bound up acceleration pump). I ran it for a bit to
get the timing and carb in better tune. Everything seemed to be okay.

On Thursday I was able to leave work a bit early and took my car for a journey
of about a mile in my neighborhood before the darkness hit. It was a relief
that mechanically things worked well (laid some rubber much to my neighbors'
delight), and the motor sounded strong. I do have a number of small issues
with the stock gauges to look at (temperature gauge not working, fuel gauge
reads high) but everything seems to be a go.

Now my question???

This may seem silly but how you fill your cooling system and know that is all
the way filled? I don't want any trapped air pockets.

The Factory Shop Manual says the factory cooling system holds about 16
quarts.

I am using a Griffin aluminum radiator and an aluminum fill tank from Dale's
Resto...but NO heater core (or hoses that go to it)...and I have about 13
quarts in the system. So maybe that's all it will hold?

Initially I slowly filled the tank and got about 11-12 quarts in. It sat for a
couple weeks and naturally went down a bit, so I topped it off. Then after
running the car it went down again, so I was able to add some more...about
another quart or so worth.

Now maybe my system holds less than a stock system but I want to make sure the
car is properly filled...so any advice is certainly welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Paul