Re: [Tigers] heater blower motor

To: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] heater blower motor
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 18:27:42 -0400
Hi Steve;

I hope this file comes through ok. Relay circuits are incredibly simple. The
way the Tiger left the factory, power was supplied to the switch, and when
the contacts were closed, the power was fed to the heater, headlights, etc.
This put a lot of resistance in the circuit, with the really weak link being
the contacts in the switch.

When you introduce a relay to the circuit, all the dash-mounted switch has
to do is pass enough current (much less than it takes to run the heater, for
example)  to throw the switch in the relay, which brings together much
heavier contacts that send current down a dedicated wire directly to the
heater motor from the power supply.

There is a complication with the Tiger: because it has a low/high switch
position, you either have to use two relays, or just put the relay on the
"High speed" circuit, and don't use the low speed circuit, which is what I
did.

Check out the wiring diagram, and get back to me if you have any questions..

Cheers,

Dave

> Hello Dave:
> Can you explain in a little more detail what you did....where the replay
> is in line with the heater, dash switch, etc.? I want to do that too on my
> puny heater motor.
>
> Thanks!
> Steve Sage

Relay Generic Wiring Diagram.jpg]