Re: [Tigers] fulcrum pins

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] fulcrum pins
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 12:51:16 -0800
Dale,
  There was one list member who knew a professional person associated with
the problem say, "every pin is subject to failure."  On the other hand there
are still people out there with their original pins and no apparent intent
to replace them.  A number of years ago Derek White has some pins made in
Africa.  They were purported to be made from steel used in Caterpillar
tractors.  There are other, more local vendors now, but I have no experience
with them.  Others on the list will be better able to advise you.

 There are bushings available that have a removable center section.  The
current set up is to remove the bushing, use an oversize fulcrum pin and
gain the added strength.  Again, there are others here who can provide the
links.  Also, there are reinforcements to the crossmember that externally
support the pin and help to prevent stress. So, yes, there has been progress
in the matter.

 That said my understanding is that "some" of the failures occur because the
bushings loosen and the washers turn and work harden the pin. So, at a
minimum I would check that.

Tom

[demime found a multipart/alternative section which it tried
to parse but could not find any section which it could render. Please send
plain text.]
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
6:02 PM