Re: [Tigers] Remote Filter Part Repair?

To: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Remote Filter Part Repair?
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:24:07 -0800
At 07:19 AM 2/13/2009, you wrote:
>Bill- If I loan you one, perhaps yours can be tigged welded up,
>drilled and retapped. Im hoping they have pipe threads but if it
>doestnt, perhaps it can be tapped to pipe threads and an adaptor put
>on the short hose. Ive never inspected the threads and for all I
>know they are British. I do have one I am glad to loan you but I
>have use for it down the road- providing I live that long, so I dont
>want to sell it. Im thinking that with a good one you might find a
>shop that can repair yours. Tom Hall could make you one, I have no
>doubt but it might not be worth the cost. Toms work is above
>reproach but his time is limited. He also may be the one
>machinest/welder that could repair your part.
>TOM, what are your thougts on the hose threads in the oil filter
>top- I believe thats the return line.

I've attempted the repair of the inverted flair on this
casting.  Typically I bore the area oversize, and weld in an
insert.  The insert is made from aluminum and is threaded through
with the straight threads.  Then it's counterbored to allow the
insertion of the cone section.  Welded at the back, inserted from the
front and welded to the casting.  The concept is fine but the process
is very difficult.  A lot of work and not always successful because
of the different alloys make welding very difficult and prone to
cracking.  Much easier to use a remote system that doesn't use this
rare OEM piece.  That's why it's "ModTiger".  This oil filter system
was the first hardware I replaced in 1966.

Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC
www.tigerengineering.net