Re: [Tigers] Tire question....Oh...no.........

To: Samouce's <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tire question....Oh...no.........
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:05:27 -0800
Duke,

The issue is not only tire width and outside diameter, but wheel offset
and diameter as well.  The original wheels had (as I recall) a -0.25"
offset.  Some replacement wheels have none, or positive.  Usually marked
on the inside of the rim.

This combines to make the rear tires hit the welded joint between the
fender lips outside metal, and the inside wheel arch.  They are fastened
together by (I recall) spot welds on the matching horizontal surfaces
and an offset change can make the sidewall connect to the lips.

On the front wheels, the interference would be on the bottom lip of the
front of the wheel well.

The interference with the body in other places inside the wheel well
should be checked, as well.

Confound this with wider rims, and larger diameter tires, and you have
some "adjusting" to do.

using the TigersUnited.com "SEARCH" feature for "wheel"
A lot of older Tech Notes on "Wheels and Tyres" is at:

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/tech_threads/tt-wheel2.asp

Steve

___
Steve Laifman