[Tigers] Rootes/BMW comparison in the 50's/60's

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Rootes/BMW comparison in the 50's/60's
From: Steven silverstein <milano164@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 06:25:22 -0400
Paul,

Briefly, Horbury was pointing out that the sedans of Rootes had a
sporting image developing.    The Rapier was well known for doing
well.  The Humber was of good quality and comfort too and I believe
did well in some rally events.    Comparing that
with the BMW sedans of the same period Rootes and BMW as product line
offerings weren't too dissimilar.        In the 70's these types of
cars flourished, small sporting sedans, and BMW eventually developed
into the company that it is today.

Now for my thoughts... Could have Rootes been the next BMW? Possibly,
but I don't think the Minx, Rapier, or the Humber were ever marketed
strongly in the U.S..   The U.S. being the center of growth for the
auto industry.     By the 70's the interstates were changing consumer
perceptions of what was adequate for engines.   In the end, the 1725
engine really couldn't be compared to the BMW four cylinders nor
Toyota's OHC fours for smoothness and power.       At least that's my
thought.

Steve