[Tigers] Wheel failure - Non Tiger Content

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Wheel failure - Non Tiger Content
From: stubrennan@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:10:29 +0000 (UTC)
I took the leaking tire off my Explorer up to the local shop for a repair, and
was surprised by what they found.B  The steel wheel was leaking, not the
tire.B  Some combination of rust (I'm near Boston) and maybe metal fatigue or
a manufacturing problem caused a leak to form right where the central web is
welded to the rim.B  And the guy said he sees this all the time on the local
police cruisers, also Fords.

My Explorer is 10 years old, street driven, no off road crazyness, but we're
up here in the snow/rust belt.B  It used to be that steel wheels were regarded
as the rugged ones, and alloys were pretty but delicate.B  Maybe that's
changing?B  Has anyone else seen signs of weakness in recent steel wheels,
Ford or anybody else?

Needless to say,B all 4B wheels are being replaced tomorrow.

Stu