Re: [Tigers] Loss of 'shift gate' in Top Loader

To: "'Rob Bernardino'" <crbernardino@mac.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Loss of 'shift gate' in Top Loader
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:57:14 -0400
Rob
        I believe this is a common problem with the Ford shifter.   I have
had the shifter hang up like that and had to force the shifter back into the
previous gear to make it work again.   The first time it happened I got out
of the car and forced the shift linkage from underneath.   I believe I
removed the shifter assembly, cleaned it, inspected it for wear then put it
back in with no further problems.  You may just have an adjustment problem
so check that first; see page 4 in the transmission section of the Shop
Manual.

http://www.tigersunited.com/resources/wsm/wsmE1.asp

        I think there is more information about this subject on some of the
Ford Transmission web sites.

Ron Fraser