Re: [Tigers] Teething troubles.

To: Theo.Smit@dynastream.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Teething troubles.
From: JHef101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:54:46 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/2009 9:38:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Theo.Smit@dynastream.com writes:

The only bad thing is that it's got a fairly noticeable knock, that I'm sure
the engine didn't have when it was last run about six years ago. Is there
anything in particular that afflicts the 5.0 roller-cam engines when they've
sat for a long time? As far as I know nothing fell in any of the ports in
the
interim... when I swapped the engine into the Tiger I put on the cast
'Cobra'
covers and the Canton windage tray and oil pan, but with stock 5.0 valve
train
I wasn't expecting any interference issues. The engine turned over by hand
without any noticeable tight spots.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

Theo

You didn' t mention if you had done any disassembly of the engine prior to
running it. Did you have the heads off and if so did you have them milled or
replace the head gaskets? Or did you replace the pistons?The reason for
asking is I ran across this a few years ago on a 427 Chev I rebuilt for my 69
Vette. The machine shop which milled the heads milled the right one slighty
out of square and the tolerance was too tight on the aft piston so once the
piston heated up the engine was experiencing piston slap which manifested
itself as an obnoxious, hard to trace, medium pitch, knock. I ended up using
.060 copper head gaskets which allowed enough clearance and never had another
issue with the engine. Don't know if this applies to your situation, hope it
helps.

Jeff Hefner
B9470028
steps!