Re: [Tigers] Map Lights

To: michael.s.king@gmail.com (michael king)
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Map Lights
From: wwwdg@webtv.net (David or Gary)
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 09:13:10 -0700
After reading the Alpine Thread and further posts here, I dug through
my parts and found a used Gold/Silver cover. Picture links below. The
Chrysler/Rootes parts book shows the #5041255 cover used on Series III
onwards. The earlier cover is #5039585. I don't know if both covers are
the same, only being different in color. The #5039585 pre Series III
unit doesn't have a on/off switch, but the cover looks the same in the
Rootes parts illustration. This metal Gold cover does not have mounting
pins/blades on the inner area, even though the plastic lens is the same
as my NOS one and has the same SPARTO number and holes for pin/blades.
In the photos below the cover is definitely not black, it appears to
have been gold and faded or worn to silver. I now believe early Tigers
may have had the Gold cover. The finish doesn't look like paint it could
be anodized, but does anodizing fade in the sun or oxidize?
The way the silver/gold color is, it almost has to be faded/oxidized as
the map light isn't in an area were it would get that much wear. Also
the inside part against the plastic is still gold and couldn't get worn
or oxidized?

David

Outside gold/silver
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/21606493/366048018.jpg

Inside gold/silver
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/21606493/366048016.jpg

Outside end close-up
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/21606493/366048020.jpg

Inside end close-up
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/21606493/366048019.jpg
----------------
Reply with original e-mail message

 Sparto manufactured these lights for many cars.. they are on MKII and
420G jags.. they made them without switches (early alpine) and with
later alpine and tiger. The early alpines have a different finsh on the
lens.. you really need one from a rootes package with the part number
from the parts book.. and i am talking a rootes package pre-chrysler as
in yellow circle blue background.. as the later chrysler packaging
often has a part that superceeds the earlier one.. just my .02 :-)
--
Regards
Michael King