Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 3, Issue 266

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Tony Somebody" <achd73@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 3, Issue 266
From: "Mountjoy" <dsmtjoy@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 16:01:38 -0700
Tony,

Good find in the shed !  Could that be considered a "barn find"?

About distributors, The SBF Cobras used the 260 and 289HP motors.  The 260
cars (CSX 2000 - CSX 2075) came with a single point, vacuum advance
distributor whereas the 289 cars (CSX 2076 - CSX 2589) came with dual point,
centrifugal advance distributors.  These were Ford's Autolite brand and had
a base part number of 12127.
BTW, the 427 Cobra's distributor was also an Autolite, dual point,
mechanical advance unit with the same base number.

The distributor for the 260 Cobras was C3OF-12127-G.*
The distributor for the 289 Cobras was C5AF-12127-F.*
The distributor for the 427 Cobras was C5AF-12127-E.*
*(This information from the Shelby American Registry.)

The attached charts (sorry listers) may be useful in providing additional
information and are from "Ford High performance Parts Identifier", Robert
Winkleman, published by Sunset Mustang.  The attached pics are of CSX 2295.
They don't show the distributor too well but it is "buried" with hoses and
wires surrounding it so I wasn't able to get a clear pic.

The first generation Shelbys ('65 & '66) used the same Ford 289HP motor with
the same distributor as the cobras.  I don't know about later Shelbys.

Sorry, this probably isn't the information you were hoping to hear.  Have
you tried looking around the Mallory site to see what they have to say?

Darrell