Re: [Tigers] BW T10's - early Tigers

To: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] BW T10's - early Tigers
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:19:40 -0700
Cullen, O.M.,

I understand that you have already investigated the transmission/rear
end/installation issues.  But some Listers may want more information
about considerations for themselves.  The links provided do give good
installation advice, as well.

When I went through the same comparisons, I did not like the "5th" gear
ratios.  I was looking for 0.8, and they didn't seem to be available at
that time.  Much more desirable than a 0.63.  Try Dan Walter's T-5
advice article:

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersT5/pt-WaltersT52.asp

and:

Curtis Fisher has another good article on TREMEC vs/ HEH-E, and
_installation_:

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/CFisherTREMEC/pt-CFisherTREMEC5.asp

For a good discussion, recommendations, etc.  It was written in 2001,
but it is very applicable today. The reason that Tom Hall built custom
parts is that AMC T-5's are difficult to come by, and use.

What rear-end ratio you have is of considerable importance.

On a personal note:

I ended up with buying a Tiger Mk II 4 spd, with a lot better spacing
than the Mk I, Mk Ia.  Even though it is called a "wide ratio"  Bolts
right in, but one have to remember to change the helical internal speedo
gear (mates with the cable gear) to get the speedo correct.  An
adjustment of the speed needle can be made, but the odometer needs the
correct ratio.

One can replace parts in your current tranny. The internal gear Ford
"wide-ratio" gear set swap (input shaft, lay shaft, and 2nd and 3rd gear
parts) to replace those in your present "close-ratio" box, without
changing the 2.88 rear axle. Everything fits!

I find that the better spacing and ratios of the Mk II gear set to have
altered the ratios and spacing for a perfect match with the original
2.88:1 rear end.  The mph/rpm is the same in high, but I never found the
rpm to be too high at 72 mph (3,000 rpm) allowed and (contrary to the
name "wide ratio"),  intermediate .

We had a very good gear ratio/speed calculator by Bob Hokanson on
TigersUnited.com, but it currently isn't functioning. (Looking in to it.)

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com
<http://www.TigersUnited.com>