Re: [Tigers] Roller 289

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Jeffrey Nichols <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Roller 289
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:34:21 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff- have you dynoed your engine? Just wondering what kind of HP you managed
to massage out of a 260 block.

To others who started this thread, I have a 5 bolt 289 and have had it in
several cars, including 2 Tigers. I would grab another if I ever got the
chance. Knowing how much abuse I put the engine thru, the last time I rebuilt
it, I considered a roller cam and lifters. There is a kit but the necessary
machine work to make the cam work was extremely costly or perhaps only lifters
could be installed (memory problems exist)- no matter I decided to store the
fresh engine and use a 5.0 HO engine when I go to a roller engine. know there
is a hp gain when using the roller lifters but is it worth the machine work and
cost. Also mentioned is the dist. gear requiring change if used with a roller
cam. Is there a problem using roller lifters with a non roller cam because of
the hardness-like w/ the dist. gear.
TtT