[Tigers] Overdrive toploader

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Overdrive toploader
From: "A. C. Tynes" <v8tracker@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:23:08 -0500
I happened to run across an interesting statement at
http://www.5speeds.com/toploader.html.

This has probably been common knowledge on the list for many years, but it
is news to me and I thought I would throw it out.

This gentlemen states that Ford built overdrive toploaders in 1977-1979 and
installed them in vehicles such as the Granada. He says they made third gear
the overdrive gear and flipped the third-fourth shift lever so that shifting
into "third" actually put you into fourth and shifting into "fourth" put you
into overdrive, giving ratios of 3.29, 1.84, 1.00 and .81. He also says the
parts can be retrofitted into older toploaders.

That looks like a big gap between 1st and 2nd, but maybe the earlier 1st
gears could be used?

At any rate, I'm just curious if any one has tried this modification on
their Tiger.

A. C. Tynes
New Orleans