Re: [Tigers] Rust never sleeps

To: Rollright@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rust never sleeps
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:17:49 -0700
Jim, and Tigers,

I believe that once the "rust cancer" gets it's start, "overcoats" of a
perfect sealer wouldn't cure existing deposits unless they are TOTALLY
removed before application. In "sealed", and difficult access, areas
this could be a very large problem.

So, if it wasn't done before it's first salt encounter, it may never
work. I have not heard of anyone cleaning internal and boxed areas
before application, except (maybe) factory jobs. My 911S was low mileage
California version, so no pockets of salt existed.

Haven't we all heard of removed undercoat showing the rust beneath?
Today's "factory jobs" have a significant head start over later applied
materials simply because they trapped no previous salt.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com