Re: [Tigers] Question on sharing vin #

To: <MWood24020@aol.com>, <norcal-saac@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Question on sharing vin #
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:47:59 -0600
I don't have good knowledge of CA registration practices but I think
it's pretty common now for insurance companies to quote straight off a
VIN, since they can pull all the necessary details of the car from the
DMV registry database. Our insurer did it when my wife bought a 2006
Subaru this spring - they instantly knew everything about the car
including the color. I'm not sure how closely the various state agencies
might interchange information.

I would think that if you're the one that has the official state issued
registration documents there shouldn't be much question about who really
owns the car - they could try to forge a registration doc and then try
to transfer it to themselves but that wouldn't hold up under scrutiny.

Anyone can read the vin of your car from the base of the windshield,
too... And since they're right there, they can also get the license
plate number and the numbers off your current registration sticker. I
think you'd be in much more danger of someone trying to clone a
registration when you park your car a the local mall, than from some guy
in Colorado.

Theo