Re: [Tigers] (Non-Tiger) Fuel pressure falls off with temp?

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] (Non-Tiger) Fuel pressure falls off with temp?
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:24:25 -0700
Cullen,
If I understand this correct the pressure will drop and the truck stalls (or
nearly stalls) even idling once it is warmed up???

Question, did you confirm the carb ran out of fuel?

What seems interesting about this is that a cold engine will have the choke
on and thus be using more fuel.  As it warms up the choke should pull off
and less fuel is used.

If it was a clogged filter the problem should lessen instead of increase (at
least idling) from a cold engine start to warm up.

  With the engine running at the "near stall" point and simply removing the
cap, listen for a "woosh"  that would confirm a vacuum.

I've had cars that sat (even as short as a week) and then wouldn't start.
Daily use would churn the sediment in the filter, but a short sit caused it
to solidify.  Another characteristic of a "clogg-ing" filter is that the car
will run well under normal driving, but upon a prolonged acceleration the
power will die off. In that case the filter has sufficient flow under low
fuel demand, but can't provided enough fuel under load.

If possible try hooking a fuel supply (external tank) directly to the fuel
pump and if the problem goes away it is most likely in the lines or the
tank.

Last thing, is the pump right for the engine?  I had a 318 Mopar.  Something
seemed strange was I was tightening the bolts for my new fuel pump. Sure
enough the arm was completely broken off.  They gave me another (correct)
pump, but I was stuck pulling the front cover to get the broken arm out of
the timing chain!
Tom