Re: [Tigers] oil temperature - slightly off topic.

To: Theo.Smit@dynastream.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] oil temperature - slightly off topic.
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:26:24 EDT
Theo,
Would love to hear further  reports on this  experiment.
Mark

In a message dated 9/28/2009 6:19:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Theo.Smit@dynastream.com writes:

Somewhat  related, I choked down the water pump bypass a week ago and
found it made a  huge difference in the operating water temperature - so
much that I might  have to go back and undo some of my work.

I ran into Jim Foster (if  you're lurking, give me a shout sometime!) at
the local European car  show&shine at the end of July, and he suggested
to plug off the bypass,  and just drill some bypass holes in the
thermostat to keep the pump from  deadheading when the thermostat was
closed. I didn't quite go all the way  on that, but instead I threaded
the inside of the bypass hole in the  thermostat housing 1/8" pipe, put
in a pipe plug, and then drilled the  center of the plug 3/16". This
effectively cut the area of the bypass port  to 1/4 of what it was. Then
I drilled 3 5/32" holes in the perimeter of the  thermostat body, to add
to the 1/8" hole I'd already put  there.

Previously the engine would warm up to about 190 or 200 (185  thermostat)
even in 60 degree weather. Now, when I'm driving the car at  light loads
even in 70+ temperatures, it will go back to 175 or so. So I  might have
overdone the holes in the thermostat - time to get a new one and  drill
one less hole in it I  guess.

Cheers,
Theo
You are subscribed as  coolvt@aol.com