[Tigers] Hood float...how high...about 6 inches at 140mph.

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Hood float...how high...about 6 inches at 140mph.
From: David and Varley Tweddle <davidandvarley@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:55:59 +0800
Hi Steve,

In a club event we held at a local Air Force base (Gin Gin) here in Perth
(West Australia) I had my bonnet (hood) pop open due to me not shutting it
properly. My hood is normally raised about an inch to aid airflow. When the
hood popped open it floated about 5 or 6 inches high and stayed there quite
steadily. I was amongst a group of other cars travelling at about 125mph (on
the main runway) and couldn't lift off to suddenly due to the close proximity
of other cars.

I slowed down to about 70mph and the bonnet lowered itself to about 2 inches
high....I thought I might as well continue as it was the last lap of the race
anyway (and I had to beat the WRX's behind me!!). The hood raised again to
about 5 or 6 inches above the catch height and stayed there all the way up to
approx 135mph.

As a side note, we had the WA  police attend the meeting so that they could
use their radar gun and get our end of straight speeds. My Tiger pulled 148mph
.... according to the police.... they came over to see how come my old english
looking sportscar went so fast!! That is the fastest my Tiger has been, it
would have gone a little faster but I think the old SU fuel pump was running
out of steam!!

Cheers

David