Re: [Tigers] Leaf spring upper shackle bushing removal

To: "'Tim Webster'" <crabco@shaw.ca>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Leaf spring upper shackle bushing removal
From: "Jerry & Maureen \(Mo\)" <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 17:40:42 -0500
Tim,

Well, I can tell you how I have been able to remove the front spring bolt on
early Mustangs.  Hopefully, it will give you some ideas. Here also we had
the same problems - heating twisting, banging etc. didn't help at all.

I made a "puller" by carefully welding a 1/2 inch nut to the head of the
stuck bolt.  I then screwed in a piece of 1/2 inch allthread about 10 inches
long into the welded nut (in fact, it's better to have the threaded rod
screwed into the nut when welding to act as a heat sink when welding the
nut).  You will then need to find a short piece of tubing (a little longer
than the bolt). I used a piece of exhaust pipe.  On the Tiger, the rubber
plug in the trunk has to be removed.  I'm not sure what the ID is, but
whatever size you need to slide into the hole and allow the bolt to pull
trough would be fine.  Add a big, thick (or 2 or 3 thinner ones) washer on
the end of the tube and use a nut on the end (a union nut works fine as it
has far more threads than a standard nut). I had to use a fair amount of
lubrication on the nut as the amount of friction was amazing.  In fact, I've
had some bolts that were so tight and rusted that the weld broke several
times before it held and pulled the bolt out (could have been my poor
welding job, of course). I used 1/2-13, a better choice might be 1/2-20.  It
may be a little harder to find the fine allthread rod and unions, though
(bolt supply). I'm not sure if the Tiger has a 1/2 inch bolt or not, but I
would use the size nut and allthread that the stuck bolt is.  The same
principle would apply.

Some might ask why not weld the allthread to the head of the bolt. That
would work of course. It's just that I can keep using the allthread rod
again and again.  Another thing that would be fine is to weld a 1/2 inch
threaded union to the head.  That way, you would have a bigger chunk of
metal to weld to; I think I'll do that next time.  Also, try to weld all
around the head and keep it all in a straight line.  You said the bolt will
turn, so that won't be a problem. Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case
the rubber catches on fire from the welding.

Well, this has worked very well for me.  I'm sure there are other ideas
around.

Good luck.

Jerry Christopherson
9473187