[Tigers] Don Adams Tiger?

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Teepen, Jere"
Subject: [Tigers] Don Adams Tiger?
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 21:48:02 -0700
Hello Team:
As per the vin number, this is in fact my old Tiger that I sold years
ago. I sold it to someone in Northern California who later did a
restoration on it, removed the A/C I had installed, and did the red
seats and panels, and did some extra badging on it, etc. The interior
was stock when I sold it. The louvers in the photos are the ones I had
installed prior to the sale.

When I bought the car, the seller said it was once owned by Don Adams
and gave me the original registration with Don Adams as owner, c/o his
production company, which I still have. I had no way of verifying that
at the time and it wasn't a factor in my making the purchase. I have
attached the registration but I  think Auto X will remove it from this
email. If it doesn't show, if anyone wants to see it let me know and I
can email it directly.

A few years later, at my car dealership, I sold a car to a lady who
asked me who owned the red Tiger parked outside my office, which was my
car and my every day driver.  She looked at it in more detail and told
me that she knew the car well as she had worked for Don's production
company it had been given to Don as a gift by his production company.
She recognized the wheels (not what's on the car now) which were very
distinctive with gold trim on the spokes, plus a couple of other
distinguishing quirks my Tiger had. Again, I had no way of verifying
that, but it coincided with what the seller had told me. The Midlands (I
think that's the brand but I may be wrong) brake booster looks like the
after market booster I installed when the Girling unit went bad. I also
had the headlight rims chromed which still remain on the car. When I
sold the car it had a stock steering wheel at the time.

I have no involvement with the car at all now other than saying that it
appears to be my ex Tiger and, as far as I know, it did once belong to
Don Adams.

Steve Sage

sralsten@ca.rr.com wrote:
> It's an old recipe....
>
> Take one $30,000 collector car, add a healthy dollop of celebrity
> provenance and Viola !!!  $45,000 car.
>
> Similar to taking one $3000 Alpine, add several Tiger parts, a
> replica chassis tag or real possibly if you can find one. Shake well
> and Viola !!! A Tiger.
>
> Buyer Beware
>

> ---- "Teepen wrote:
>
>> I find it interesting that they refer to this car as having been owned by Don
>> Adams.  CAT had a luncheon with Don Adams about a year before he passed away.
>> When he was asked what happened to the car after its use in Get Smart he
>> confirmed he owned it.  He also stated that the car was scrapped after one of
>> his daughters had wrecked it, this incident being the final straw after
>> several other accidents with the car in the hands of his children.  He did
>not
>> hesitate about the car's fate and seemed quite certain about its demise.
>>
>> Does anyone know if he owned another Tiger?
>>
>> Jere

Database version: 6.13700

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Don
Adams Tiger title.JPG]