Re: [Tigers] What did you do in the War, daddy?

To: Bob Josten <bob@rjosten.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] What did you do in the War, daddy?
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:35:09 -0800
Bob,

A Christmas Tree Rocket, hmm!  Actually while in high school, and before
CalTech, a friend and I built a rocket starting with raw ingredients.
Took it to a field that looked a lot like that pictured, and remotely
ignited it.  Well, it blew up on the pad and almost set the farmer's
weeds on fire.

After a solid education, and in first professional job with North
American Aviations Rocketdyne Division in 1955, I helped with the
engineering design/development/test of the Redstone, Thor, Jupiter,
Atlas, and the F-1.  Received a few patents on my design work.

Went on to bigger jobs after that, still in the Rocket Field.  Met Dr.
Mayf when he was at Vandenberg AFB.

Thanks for asking.

Steve

___