Re: [Tigers] What did you do in the War, daddy?

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] What did you do in the War, daddy?
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:09:58 -0800
Yup, that was a humdinger! And while I had no part in that engine or any
of the Saturn Program, I did go to the Canoga Park or was it Santa
Susana test area once. I watched the propellant turbine make a test run.
It only produced as I recall abotu 50,000 lb thrust as exhaust, lol...
Quite Spectacular!  And I stood and watched as an upper stage engine was
run...with me looking straight into teh flame bucket.. and fairly close
to it as well. Yikes! Shake your insides loose!

So,  thank you for those efforts, Steve!  Oh, were you around when teh
free air hydrogen exposion happened at the test facility?  As I
undrstand it, they were going to run the hydrogen stage set of motors
with the real tankage and some farkle cause an abort. The detanked teh
hydrogen out into the air, but it was so clod that teh gaseous H2 hung
like fog on teh ground and then ...KABOOM... some blown in ear drums,
virtually all the support traileres had crush damage and most all
windows were blown in. Nobody seriously hurt though.... remember that?
I just heard about it later...so I may have it completely wrong...

So, thanks again, Steve!

mayf