Re: [Tigers] Brakes & Wheel Combinations

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brakes & Wheel Combinations
From: David Sosna <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 00:18:24 -0800
Hi Joel:
Can't offer anything about the disk brake kits you mentioned, but when I
had my Tiger I would have loved to have put a set of Torque-thrust D's
on it!!
They look good on just about anything.

Which doesn't explain why I keep buying cars with 4-bolt patterns
instead of 5. :-)
I never got to the point of actually trying to figure out backspacing,
tire and wheel sizing and all that, though.

In the Sunbeam Tiger and Alpine Gold Portfolio, there's a reprint from
Autocar magazine, June 26, 1969.  Page 166 refers to a developmental
Tiger II with the following from their long-term report : "...it has
five-stud 14 in. wheels and big Girling discs all round...." and the
picture on page 168 shows a 5-bolt pattern on what look like Panasports
( or Minilites--I think that's what they used over in England back then
(?) ).

It's your car.  If there's enough money in there to change to a 5-bolt
pattern, you like the look of the Torque-Thrust and you can come up with
some backspacing, wheel widths, tire sizes and all that, I'd say: "Go
for it!!"

You'd just be carrying on the development work that the factory was
pursuing.  :-)

Oh, FWIW, I guesstimated the stock tires (5.90-13) at about 22.5" dia.
Figuring 80 series sidewalls.
If I'm not too far out (math was never my strong point), then if you put
a set of 14" American Racing wheels on, you can use a set of Falken
Azenis 195-60-14 (summer-only, and the only size they still make for a
14" rim) RT-615's on, at 23.2" diameter.  A little larger, so I don't
know what kind of problems you'd encounter, but I've got the Azenis on
my '97 Miata and the thing is an absolute ball to drive!  They're pretty
sticky, so you'd want to make sure your factory induced front suspension
problems (i.e. Ackermann angles with the resultant busted lower fulcrum
pins and collapsed suspension) have been resolved first.
Since I sold my Tiger 3 1/2 years ago, I haven't been following the tire
threads on this list much (this one just caught my eye because of the
wheels involved), so I defer to the guys on the list, most of who
actually HAVE Tigers and are much better able to tell you whether my
figures are anywhere near realistic.

Best Regards
David Sosna

database 4862 (20100212) __________