Re: [Tigers] Fuel Injection

To: Wally Menke <walmenke@bigpond.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fuel Injection
From: THEO SMIT <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:34:01 -0700
Hi Wally,

I have a BossEFI throttle body injection unit on my Tiger. It's sitting on an
F4B manifold and it just barely fits under the firewall rib, but only after I
machined the arc off the rear "float bowl" (the cover for the rear pair of
injectors). I used a countersinking bit on the milling machine and that
matched the angle of the underside of the rib pretty well. I also don't have
any engine spacer washers between the block and the engine mounts.

If you had a low rise manifold then you shouldn't have any problems.

My setup came with the "stage 2 EMS" which is a remotely mounted electronics
unit that I attached to the passenger footrest, along with the oxygen sensor
module. The Powerjection 3 has the electronics attached to the side of the
throttle body. To me this represents a liability because heat and vibration
will kill all but the most robust electronics package.

The PowerJection 3 only controls fuel supply to the throttle body while the
Stage 2 EMS was also supposed to be able to control engine timing. I found
that the EMS had problems at several RPM ranges where the timing was not
getting set properly, and the engine would just go flat as long as you were in
that RPM band. It also couldn't do timing management while cranking properly.
As soon as I went back to my old-school distributor with mechanical and vacuum
advance, the dead spots went away and I could focus on getting it to do the
mixture right.

One issue with the Stage2 EMS (don't know if the PowerJection 3 also has the
problem) is that it will run all four injectors even though the secondary
throttles might be closed. This causes less than ideal idling and low-throttle
operation because fuel will accumulate above the throttle plates and then
suddenly burp through into the intake manifold. The throttle body came with a
linkage arrangement that was supposed to allow siamesed, or two different
progressive secondary throttle operation, but the software was not set up to
recognize this.

In summary, I like the machine work on the throttle body and the concept is
good, but the software in the controller is not good enough to make it a
really great thing unless you're racing, where the part-throttle drivability
is a minor issue. I think that when I get around to it, I'll see how much I
can reverse-engineer the controller and if that doesn't work out then I'll be
getting a MegaSquirt or SDS controller and doing some custom programming for
it.

For the PowerJection 3, I think that since it was never intended to do
ignition timing, they've eliminated one of the biggest problems with the
earlier system, but I'm not sure that having the electronics stuck atop the
engine is a good idea. In the worst case you'd have to remove that module on
the side of the throttle body and locate it remotely.

Theo