Re: [Tigers] Camshafts

To: "MAURO D'ANGELO" <m_dangelo@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Camshafts
From: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:06:42 -0500
Mauro,
Choosing the correct cam for your engine can be either an interesting
exercise or a true pain in the arse. I have built 5 V-8 engines in the
last few years, most of them SB Fords, and every one was different
because the applications were all different. If you are keeping the
stock 289 heads, pistons, intake and exhaust, then you will not benefit
from a high performance cam. If you go with the equivalent of an LAT 1
intake, some head work (or aluminum heads, my preferred choice) and a
good flowing exhaust, then a more aggressive cam profile should be
pursued. Your current engine was designed in the '50's and made in the
'60's, there have been a lot of interesting developments in making
reliable horsepower since then. It all depends upon what level of
performance you want out of the car.

One of the best tools I have used for making cam choices is the software
CamQuest6, it is from Comp Cams www.compcams.com and it is free. You can
plug in a very detailed amount of data into the software, including
usage, weight, engine bore/stroke, compression, head type, valve size,
port size, intake, exhaust, carb, and much more, and it will list which
cam profiles are best as well as giving you an estimated HP and torque
curve for each set-up. Even if you don't like CompCams (I do) you can
look up their cam profiles and shop around for competitive bump sticks.
It's also interesting to see how nasty you can build a SBF by modifying
the input data.

All the major performance companies have help desks and tech guys that
can give you recommendations. I agree with several other folks here on
the list, if you are going to put any sort of miles on your car, convert
it over to a roller lifter cam setup, the engine will run better, you
won't have to worry about adding additives into the oil, and you'll gain
some horsepower from the reduced friction.

Contact me if you wish to discuss in more detail.

Bugz