[Tigers] Oil pump shafts

To: <TIGERS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET>
Subject: [Tigers] Oil pump shafts
From: "Jerry & Maureen \(Mo\)" <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 13:48:34 -0600

As some of you remember, awhile back we had a discussion about oil pump
pressures, volumes and shafts.  In this regard, a friend of mine started up
his newly-overhauled small block Ford engine and was smart enough to pay
close attention to the oil pressure when he first started up.  Shortly
thereafter (a few seconds I guess), the oil pressure went to zero.  He, of
course, shut off the engine, thereby saving it.  He asked me if he could
borrow my distributor shaft that I have modified to do pre-oiling, so he
could see if he was able to get some oil pressure.  Well, when he turned the
oil pump shaft, it had no resistance whatsoever. He had to drop the pan and
found the pump was stuck.  Apparently, it had picked up some "trash" out of
the pan, which stuck in the tip recess of one of the vanes in the pump.  It
was small enough that he didn't actually see it, but it doesn't take much to
lock up the rotor, to snap the shaft, and to ruin an expensive overhaul.
The lesson is to be VERY particular about cleanliness.  Always pre-oil an
engine before first startup.

I'm not very computer savvy, so I don't know how to post a picture on this
site.  But if anyone wants to see how a pump shaft twisted up before it
snapped, e-mail me personally (JCMC2006@suddenlink.net), and I will be happy
to send you a picture of it.

Jerry Christopherson

9473187