Re: [Tigers] Some thoughts on the Book of Norman

To: "m_dangelo@verizon.net" <m_dangelo@verizon.net>, "CoolVT@aol.com"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Some thoughts on the Book of Norman
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:35:07 -0500
Hi Mauro,
In case you hadn't been there yet, here's a link to Norm Miller's website:
http://www.rootes1.com/

If you scroll down a bit you'll find a link to "the book", which has an
overview of TBON.
As Mark has said, there are no "secrets" in the book of Norman, and aside from
a clearly making the case against fraudulent Alpine conversions, there is
nothing in TBON that would serve as a by-the-numbers guide to authentication.

As far as the on-line information being repetitive, old and stagnant, that's
partially because the Tiger was developed about fifty years ago, only about
7000 examples were made, and for the next 20 or so years after that, they were
derided as cheap and a little bit dangerous, and not at all in the same class
as "proper" sports cars. Whatever that means. In contrast, the 911 was
appreciated as a sports car from the outset, even though it was in many
respects at least as dangerous as the Tiger, and the model has been in
continuous production for over 40 years.

TigersUnited.com has an online version of the original Tiger shop manual, as
well as complete Rootes parts number listings. From some perspectives there is
no more authoritative source than those documents. Unfortunately, you can't go
to a dealership and get parts by the Rootes numbers, except for what has been
remanufactured by companies like Sunbeam Specialties, Classic Sunbeam auto
parts, VB (maybe), the European restoration companies, and the various clubs.
CAT, specifically, has had several hard to get items reproduced, and those
parts are available to club members along with their Shop Notes documents.

TigersUnited also has several dozen restoration and modification articles up,
and you can see what others have done in a wide range of topics. TEAE has an
active forum as does CAT. This mailing list (tigers@autox.team.net) is
independent of any other Sunbeam/Rootes club or organization and many
subscribers are members of one or more of the regional Tiger clubs.

With any relatively anonymous service such as the mailing list or the forums,
you'll always run the risk of having your question misinterpreted, and you'll
also have cases where other members don't care about your question or
comments, and they may let you know that in a seemingly hostile manner.
Unfortunately that's the way it goes sometimes. The best thing to do is to try
and meet some other local Tiger or other Sunbeam owners in your area, and
you'll have an opportunity to discuss things face to face and to see other
Tigers first-hand.

And just so you know (if it wasn't already clear), authentication is probably
the #1 hot-button topic on the mailing list and more likely than any other
topic to bring out volatile responses.

Cheers,
Theo

<snip>

---
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,

Thank you for your cooperation.