Re: [Tigers] Engine color

To: "'David T Johnson'" <djoh797014@yahoo.com>, <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine color
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:07:00 -0400
Dave
        Good synopsis and yes there is confusion here and probably always
will.

Ford controlled the color of the engines. All engine blocks were painted
black until the 1966 Ford model year; Aug 1965.

        The B19KC engine group spans the 1965 and 1966 Ford model years and
were divided into 2 build periods.  The engine ID tag for the 1965, 260
engines will have 65 and probably revision level 5, I have no entries in my
study for the early B19KC engine group.  The engine ID tag for the 1966
engines will have 66 and revision level 9.   The later group of B19KC, 260
engines were built in the fall of 1966 and were painted blue.  I have
several engine entries in my study for this later group of B19KC engines
with Oct 1966 build dates.

        The real confusion is with the Paint.  Different shades of Ford Blue
are rampant on the market.  Many are called Old Ford Blue or Ford Blue but
do not seem even close to the Blue color on Tiger engines.  I don't know if
there is a difference in the shade of Blue used for the last group of 260
engines and the Mk II, 289 engines.   I would not think so but I usually get
into trouble when I think too much.   What is needed are color photos of
original Tiger engines painted blue and historical color photos for
comparison.

        My current position on what shade of Blue; 1- if it is know that the
engine should be Blue; paint it Blue; 2- paint the engine the shade of Blue
that appeals to you.

I intend to keep looking into this subject and I hope other will too.

        My Original Tiger Engine Study includes all Tigers so feel free to
contact me offline to participate or to just have your Ford casting numbers
and date codes deciphered.

Ron Fraser