Re: [Tigers] Hub Pulling.................too easy.

To: wsamouce <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Hub Pulling.................too easy.
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 21:07:19 -0600
Hi Duke,
Axle endplay is something you want to have within about 0.002" (spec is
0.006 to 0.008"), so you should make up some shims out of 0.004" shim
stock in addition to the 0.010" one(s) you may already have made. The
thin material cuts easily with heavy duty scissors,as long as you don't
plan to use those for anything delicate afterward. Just watch you don't
get cut by the edges...

If I recall, I had one thicker shim on one side and a thinner one
(probably about 0.010) on the other, when I took things apart for the
disc brake conversion. I machined up some spacers out of 1/4" or 5/16"
aluminum to make up the lost thickness of the brake drum backing plates
(made sure I matched the original backing plate thickness), and then
reassembled things with the original spacers on their respective sides.
And yes, I didn't measure the end float... it's on the list of things to do.

Theo