Re: [Tigers] Front Clip Replacement

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Front Clip Replacement
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 12:17:45 -0700
Paul,
  I have replaced my front clip and the lower - rear of the front fenders.
In my case I did them as separate sections.  When I purchased my Tiger it
came with a detached spare front clip (slightly past the centerline of the
front fender) and at a CAT swapmeet I purchased the lower fender panels. The
front clip was replaced at the 2 O'clock (drivers side) and the 10 O'clock
(passenger side) positions as they relate to the front wheel wells.  The
limitation of replacement was determined by the amount of metal I received.

For the front clip I did in fact pretty much drill out the spot welds.  I
elected to retain the original inner fenders which required some cutting.
To join the two I did go back about 6 inches with the new clip's inner
fender. It just seemed like a logical point and helped to some what hide the
weld.  At the fender I overlapped the metal about an inch.  On the lower
overlap I cut fingers about an inch wide to facilitate bending them down,
under the new metal.  With the lower fender pieces they already had the
overlap designed in. In both cases I used a MIG welder (all I had) but I
have been told that gas welding is preferable.

If you have a donor car you will have to determine where to make the cuts.
However, it seems that getting into the windshield/heater duct/firewall area
can become complicated.  Maybe there are others with more experience.

Tom