Re: [Tigers] Question about Pana Sports

To: cjcoffel@sonic.net, Tiger List Serve <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Question about Pana Sports
From: Randy Smith <RSSmithIQ@cs.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 06:50:09 -0400
Chris-

Here's my old post from a couple of years ago:

"I just went through the same decisions.  I started with the same
opinion and bias that you expressed.  I also wanted Minilites, since
owning similar cars in the 60's.  And I wanted a period look.  As I got
into it, the selection of 13" tires seemed to be too limited, so I
decided to compromise and go to 14's.  The selection of 14's turned out
to be no better.  In the end, I went with Panasports in 15".  I have to
tell you, they really look awesome on the car and they actually ride
better than the 13's, and certainly handle a lot better.  The main
reason I went with Panasports rather than Minilites is the selection of
widths and offsets.  I wanted to correct the narrow rear track, and
could only do it with spacers behind the Minilites.  Spacers make me
nervous.  I blew one off of my Mini at an autocross once.  I also wanted
to be able to get the widest width that would fit without modification.
The Minilites only come in one width and one offset.  In the end, I got
15 x 6's for the front with 195/50/15's and I got 15 x 7's for the rear
with 205/50/15's.  I used Dunlops.  The rears have additional offset to
the outside and the track is now more even.  The fronts fit with just
some gentle bending of the front valance with my hands.  The rears did
require me to do some minor grinding of the inner lip of the fender, but
this was accomplished in a few minutes without being able to see
anything from the outside.  The Panasports really have the Minilite
look, but are a more modern wheel.  I'm really happy with the setup.  If
you get Panasports, buy them through a knowledgeable Tiger shop.  There
are a variety of offsets and someone with experience can get you the
right ones without guessing.  Besides, everyone's prices are about the
same.  I bought mine from Dale's Restoration and he had them shipped
straight from Panasport.  By the way, Panasports use standard American
style tapered lugnuts.  You can buy them from any parts supplier.  They
are 7/16" x 20 thread.  Most of them take a 13/16" wrench which is hard
to get into a Panasport.  Get the ones that will work with a 3/4"
wrench.  "Mr. Lugnut" brand makes an appropriate one.  The 50 series
tires are the same rolling diameter as stock, so the speedo is unchanged."

Good luck- Randy

--

Randy Smith
INNER QUEST, Inc.