[Tigers] throw out bearing noise??

To: Beamclub <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] throw out bearing noise??
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 15:27:28 -0700 (PDT)
Recently someone mentioned that a couple of Tigers had problems with TO
bearings- I think it was at the spring fling in Indiana and Dave or another
member gave a report of how good a time was had by all etc etc except for a
couple of guys having the TO bearing problem.
I'm running a Dale A. AMC conversion 5 speed, with a  centerforce clutch and
TOB. I had no problems driving from southern IL. to SUNI last year, going or
coming but at Thanksgiving I drove from southern IL. to Charleston, WVa around
500 miles, one way. I usually plan my trips to enjoy night time driving as
I-64 in Louisville and Lexington can become stop and go during rush hour
traffic but I missed my original departure time and hit stop and go in
Louisville. That was my first sign I had a loud problem that sounded
transmission related. I had come to a stop in a clover leaf area, so I just
pulled off to the side- only a Sunbeam would have had enough room- by luck a
state maintance truck, who drives around helping people who break down was
right behind me. He turned on his lights and we jacked up the right rear of
the car. He thought the noise was in the rear end and I had just replaced
bearings prior to Suni,So I already had shim questions on my
 mind.But the loud, almost grinding like noise sounded further forward than
the rear end while setting in the car. The kid was pretty young but his main
job was to assist if he could and get a wrecker otherwise. He had me exit,
gave me directions to a couple place close by and left. I drove the car to
both places. One a closed mechanic shop, the other a closed junk yard. The
noise had disappeared, so I continued driving east, with no more problems
until I exited I-64 to the area my sisters home is located. The next day (Sat)
I went to the gas station that does my sisters mechanical thievery, I mean
work and had the rear lube drained, which I had just done prior to Suni and
inspected it by catching it with a funnel shaped a flour sifter- nothing but
what appeared to be slightly used gear lube went thru the screen- I had no
pieces of debris of any kind- IF there was any, it was not large enough to be
caught in the screen . Long story- might need to be
 sent in two emails in order to post. I wanted to see if the TOBs where the
same as the clutch, which came in the box with the replacement clutch and if
they are the same brand as mine. Thanks for understanding the long post and
any help returned.
TonytheTiger