Re: [Tigers] throw out bearing noise??

To: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>, Beamclub <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] throw out bearing noise??
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 19:55:20 -0300
Tony:

Funny you should mention TOB's now. I am in the process of re-installing my
engine after a removal to correct some problems from a previous engine
build. At that time I had fitted a Centerforce I clutch and TOB.

After about 8,000 miles, both the flywheel and pressure plate had plenty of
signs of overheating, with a surface color change and lots of work-hardened
spots and score marks. So I had the flywheel re-surfaced and am in the
process of fitting a Centerforce 2 clutch and plate.

Comparing the Centerforce TOB and what I think is an original Ford bearing,
the CF looks a tad anemic. It has a self-centering bearing, (which would be
good if the bell-housing was not set accurately for parallel  and center),
but is much smaller than the (original) Ford which has a larger bearing
surface and and a grease fitting. It also "feels" a lot tighter and more
stable.

I'd like to hear others' experience with the CF TO Bearing.

Dave