Re: [Tigers] Oil Pressure & Rear Main Leak Question

To: "Bill Waite" <fordlandia@sbcglobal.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Oil Pressure & Rear Main Leak Question
From: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:35:50 -0400
Bill, A high volume oil pump has the same relief spring and does not
make any more pressure than a standard pump, it just has the capability
to a higher volume of oil. That is why it doesn't drop much at idle. If
the rebuild was done correctly there is no need for one. Most
applications for high-volume pumps are for either racing or worn-out
engines, both cases because of the looser bearing clearances.

Your crank seals are not under direct oil pressure, only the air
pressure inside the oil pan. Since you are going to the trouble of
pulling the transmission, flywheel and pan, you might as well buy the
best seal. I have had good luck with the Fel-Pro Teflon seals, the part
number for the SBF is Z2941, they're about $40 vs. the $15 for a regular
one but will stay flexible longer and seal better. Just my two cents.

Bugz