[Tigers] Mirror Re-Silvering Service

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Mirror Re-Silvering Service
From: Terry Packer <packertl3@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 17:23:45 -0700 (PDT)
My apology if this information has been posted in the recent past. But for
those interested in having a mirror re-silvered, one source is Robert Easthope
of "Reflections Again" in San Jose, CA. His primary business is furniture
re-finishing. However, he has been re-silvering mirrors regularly for a long
time. Bob did my Tiger's inside mirror many years ago and I just had it done
again.

(BTW, the reason I had the mirror re-done is because the small amount of mirror
mastic I installed it with, apparently attacked the silver despite the sealing
paint applied to the mirror and the fact that a mirror specific product should
have been safe. Live and learn!)

You should be aware that if the backside of your mirror has deteriorated badly,
the glass itself can become etched or scratched, which may only become apparent
after the mirror has been re-silvered. Bob can usually correct these issues but
at additional cost for reworking the mirror one or more times. One alternative
is to accept imperfections which may exist in the glass itself and consider it
part of your car's overall patina. Another alternative is just to source a
modern replacement glass which will almost certainly appear more perfect than
your re-worked original.

Feel free to write off-line if there are any questions I can answer regarding
my experiences with Reflections Again. The usual disclaimer applies - I have no
relationship with or interest in Reflections Again. Except that I did
specifically ask Bob if he wanted to invite automotive type jobs, as they tend
to be small and involve shipping. He said yes, so I offered to post this
reference to his business. However, I received no discount or other
consideration for doing so. (Maybe I should have negotiated harder!)

Reflections Again
Robert Easthope
1260 Yard Court, Suite H
San Jose, CA 95133