Re: [Tigers] parts/cars

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] parts/cars
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:29:22 -0700
Tony, I believe you are referring to the 5 blade Volvo fan.   Below is a
post I made a number of years ago. I'm repsting it for the general
information.  I have three hanging on my garage wall since I found the
desired Maverick fan.   Tom

WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF THE VOLVO FAN?
The fan will bolt directly to the stock Tiger water pump hub (1") without
modification. HOWEVER, the center hole size on the Volvo fan is 1-1/8th
inch. To center the fan the bolts can be brought just touching the fan, then
with a second helper twist the fan in one direction and the hub in the other
and then tighten. This will self-center the fan on the outside edges of the
bolts. A second caution here. My fan comes very close to the rack so, if you
motor mounts are old or spacers are missing you may still have to trim.
   If you are budget minded another advantage is cost. The fans I've gotten
at Pick A Part have been $7 (compare that to the $$$ Maverick fan!). I
don't have the info in front of me, but I recall testing where the Volvo fan
was third behind the Derale and Maverick fans, but still ahead quite a bit
over the stock fan.

WHAT DOES THE VOLVO FAN LOOK LIKE?
The words Volvo and FRONT are on the center piece (hub as I call it). There
are all "safety yellow" (though many are "dirty" black). The blades are
offset in pairs of three and two (asymmetrical). There are three rivets per
blade. The center hub is thick steel and the blades appear to be stainless.

WHERE DO I FIND THE FAN?
Volvo's with the older push rod engine. Not all Volvo's of this time period
have the fan, in fact only a few. Most often it is the 142-144 (4cylinder)
or 162-164 (6 cylinder) models.
I did find a rare, but identical fan on an older Volvo 122.

WHAT ARE THE PART NUMBERS?
The more common number from the 140-160 series is 683541. The two I have
also have IMP #'s OF 69 34 and 73 10 respectively (likely a date code).
The fan from the 122 has a part number of 653841 and a secondary number of
9144580G69.