Re: [Tigers] LAT9 centercaps and Panasport center caps

To: arado7@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] LAT9 centercaps and Panasport center caps
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:52:39 -0700 (PDT)
You have missed nothing but those of us who are lucky enough to own a nice set
of LAT 9 optional wheel, they are kinda sorta rare and since they didn't have
a center hole for the old style bubble balancing tool, many people cut the top
off- which was a Tigers head- not knowing that there was a strobe light
balancing tool, where the mechanic jacked the car up, placed an electric motor
against the tire and rotated it at the desired rpm as the machine had a
rheostat switch to control speed or RPM if you would. he then made a chalk
mark on the wheel and a strobe light that fired according too "I have no idea"
and he added the desired weight to balance the wheel. My now passed on
mechanic once told me he couldn't understand how people thought their wheels
where balanced, as they bubbled balanced them, put them back on the car and
then added the hubcap- changing the work he had just completed thus his
guarantee that they where balanced. he retired at age 74
 when it took more time doing the state and federal paperwork than doing half
the mechanic work and he was an extremely good mechanic. His father had sold
two different cars from the building his shop was in and he was also a
decorated WW2 war hero. Anyway, Davis Green has found someone to make new
Tiger head caps(the wheels are made of aluminum,IMHOP) so they can be welded
on- a new cut might be required on the piece or the wheel to make then all
look the same. I have a beautiful original set and a cut set and if any of you
know someone who has a couple for sale I would love to have a spare for both
sets as they have factory offsets.
I hope Ive made it at least as clear as mud. if not, ask me anything not
understood.
warmest regards, TonytheTiger