Re: [Tigers] Electrical problem... Lucas or...Ford?

To: Jim <jim@island.net>, owain.lloyd@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Electrical problem... Lucas or...Ford?
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:57:19 -0700 (PDT)
>From previous experience the solenoid was stuck closed, as tho the key was in
the start position. A good slap w/ a hammer or since there is no room, a long
extension or equivalent and them smack "that" with a hammer and the solenoid
will return to the open position. It acts like an electric magnet and when you
add voltage to one side. It closes the circuit and pulls the solenoid closed,
starts the car, you release the key to the run position and the voltage drops
off and the voltage is then waiting in the battery. Be glad you have a
generator as an alternator can't be pushed started,without a battery except
for a few models of Chrysler I think. I'm not sure why your battery was
boiling over. We have had several days over 100 degrees, which 92 is the
average temp in the summer time in southern IL. Hope you manage to get
everything well grounded when you replace the solenoid.
Cheers,
TtT