Re: [Tigers] Electrical problem... Lucas or...Ford?

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Electrical problem... Lucas or...Ford?
From: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:28:49 -0700
When I bought my first English car, the MG-TD, in 1951 (new)  I was
given some advice by the agency.

"Always keep a Bumpershoot Handy."

Well, I was a freshman at CalTech, young, and I was afraid to show my
ignorance of the "mother tongue".  Turns out that a "bumpershoot" is
British for "umbrella", so I followed his advice and kept one in the
back shelf.  That was a strange action, here, as it hardly ever rains in
California.

I was traveling North to the Valley (San Fernando) when my car sputtered
and quit in the fast lane.  Ignition on, I couldn't hear the SU fuel
pump "clicking away".  So, while stopped in fast heavy traffic, I got
out of the car with "bumpershoot" in hand, raised the window, and gave
the fuel pump a few "whacks" with the umbrella.  It started clicking
away, so I got back in, started immediately, and went home.  He was right.

I checked out the "Workshop Manual" manual, and it didn't mention a
"bumpershoot".  It's friendly advise:

"Periodically clean your fuel pump points with a clean business card."
Great advise, except I didn't have a business card as a freshman.

Yes, still have an SU fuel pump under the Tiger rear shelf door, but
never had to clean it.  Maybe it's because I have a "never been used"
bumpershoot!  Or maybe it senses the unused "bumpershoot" on the parcel
shelf?

And the question was about Ford starter relays.  Who knows, it may
become free to move with a few good whacks, as well.

Steve

Steve Laifman

Editor

http://TigersUnited.com