Re: [Tigers] Pinion Angle

To: "Tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Pinion Angle
From: "Bob Hokanson" <tgrrr@peoplepc.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:38:53 -0700
Theo,
Good luck with the torque arm. I ran one for about 10 yrs but had a problem
with the rear end unloading under hard braking. Finally took it out.

Another good reference about pinion angles is:

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tech/articles/driveline.html

Also:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/203894-rear-end-pinion-angle.html

Bob

I haven't put in any shims... the torque arm prevents axle windup so it's
not going to go far from the static setting, right? Since I raised the rear
end 1 inch from its previous situation, and I didn't change anything on the
torque arm installation, I've effectively added about half a degree of
preload in the downward direction (to a first approximation, one inch rise
over a 57 inch run is one degree). The rubber snubber on the torque arm will
prevent any further motion outside of about a 1/2 inch range unless
something breaks.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/91758/index.html

These guys say 1 to 2 1/2 degrees for a four-link and 6 to 7 degrees for a
leaf spring suspension. Currie (quoted in the article) says 2 degrees, other
guy says it depends on the horsepower...

A 2 degree wedge on the 4 1/2" spacer would be about 3/16" thicker on one
end than it is on the other. If I have to futz with the setup for any reason
then I'll look at putting a wedge in.

Thanks,
Theo