Re: [Tigers] What makes this car an Alger?

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] What makes this car an Alger?
From: <e.coiner@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 14:16:26 -0700
I see one item that is out of character for a true Mk1a tiger.

The interior door panels are a hybrid.  Mk1a's are supposed to have a deluxe
door panel the same as a GT Alpine
The deluxe panel has a covered panel at the top which this car has.
The deluxe panel has heat sealed embossing which this car has.
The deluxe panel is larger than standard it has metal plates under the vinyl
that make the panel larger. On a deluxe panel you do not see painted metal
above the inside door handle.  The back of the panel near the latch also has a
jog in it.

The standard and deluxe door panels are not interchangeable because the deluxe
door has 3 top hat shaped metal pieces welded in along the bottom edge of the
panel.  The door panel mounts to these jogged pieces to keep the panel flush.

In a nutshell,
The doors for a car with the deluxe interior are different from a standard
interior.
Mk1A tigers all have a deluxe interior.  Most Mk1A cars have square cornered
doors (Same as Series 5 Alpines)
Only GT model Alpines have deluxe interiors.
Series 5 Alpine GT's were not imported into the US.

This means that a Non Tiger source of Square corner Deluxe doors is extremely
rare if  not unobtainable in the US.
Is this proof? No but it is one area where the evidence suggests Alpine origin
Doors at the least.

This Serial number is a very early Mk1A.  I don't know if that low a serial
number should have round corner doors or not.  It clearly has square corners
and the soft boot appropriate for a mk1a or Series 5 alpine