Re: [Tigers] Lower Grill Finisher Fasteners

To: djoh797014@yahoo.com, owain.lloyd@gmail.com, gharlowe@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Lower Grill Finisher Fasteners
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 12:30:16 EDT
Forgive my earlier email. I was discussing the upper  strip and not the
lower that had been asked about.
Mark L

In a message dated 10/9/2010 12:24:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
djoh797014@yahoo.com writes:

Dwain

The lower finisher had large round pop rivites aka the  side strip pop
rivets.
I still have som NOS ones.  A poor way to  hold the strip.  I used some
GM molding clips I found in the parts  store.  The have two strings on
either
end of a trapezoid  plate.  I clipped off the springs and found it to
slide
inside the  finisher.  The plate already had a threaded stud.  I  found
some
nylon nuts that fit (no tust).  When installing I found  the paint had
made the
monting holes to small.  A simple drill  fixed that.

Remember when repainting,
the area behind the strip is  black not body
color. In fact the whole area
behind the grill aurraond  is black.  A mistake
most painters fix.  Rumor is
this area  was not spray painted but hand
brush painted.  Marketing wanted  the
chrome cross bars to appear
to be floating in a black area.   The same
marketers had the rockers of
the MK II painted black under the  chrome stide
strips under the stripes
Marketing felt the effect would  make the MK IIs to
look  lower.

Dave