Re: [Tigers] Engine Temperature

To: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@comcast.net>, "'Randy Smith'" <RSSmithIQ@cs.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine Temperature
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 21:00:20 -0300
Hi Stu;

That's an interesting and well researched article you've written. Pheeew,
who knew those little gauges were so complex?

>From your research, you determined the accuracy is +/- 10F on the temp
gauge. Interestingly, that is the degree of accuracy I found with my
infrared thermometer. Being the anal type, I didn't like looking at my gauge
reading 210F when the sender was sitting in a pool of coolant at 200F.
It kinda got me a little tense, particularly when my engine was actually
hitting the boiling point and spewing all over my and others' driveway.

After I got my engine cooling under control, I needed, really needed, to get
my gauge reading correctly, so I could relax in my Tiger, so I got my engine
up 190F and tweaked my gauge needle to read 190F. Crude but effective. I
have checked it several times over the past few years, and it is staying
pretty accurate at 190F.

Likely it will not be accurate at other temps, but I am really only
concerned with 190F, the temp I have been running my engine since cooling
fixed. Now I am considering installing a 180F thermostat, so perhaps I
should re-calibrate?

Dave