Re: [Tigers] non Tiger-battery

To: Stu Brennan <stubrennan@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] non Tiger-battery
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 19:35:32 -0400
I'll look for corroboration from the engineers in the group, but here's my
thought...

The battery out-gasses and is subject to condensation when the engine is
cool. The condensation conducts electricity. Not a lot, but some. If the
terminals are not isolated from the case there can be a build up of residue
on both terminals, more so on the positive terminal. Wheel bearing grease
works, so do the felt washers if they're oiled, although not as good as the
 grease. The Optima is sealed, and is gel filled, so no condensation and no
build up.

Anyhow, over fifty plus years of driving the only traditional batteries I've
had that didn't have corrosion buildup had grease under the  terminals or
oiled felt washers. When the Kitty gets a new life it'll be with an Optima
battery... in a battery box... with a vent through the hole in the boot
floor.

Tom

' 67 Mark 2 being reborn.