Re: [Tigers] Brake Fluid?

To: Brian Glenn <ora_archy@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake Fluid?
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 20:30:02 -0400
Brian,

A good question, and one open to interpretation, I'm sure. Rootes used
Girling "Red" in the sixties, but it's long gone. They recommended Girling,
Lockheed,  or Castrol (BP), but those were old formulations also. Today, as
best I can tell, any Dot4 fluid SHOULD work, but not Dot5. I settled on
Castrol GT/LMA Dot4 fluid, with all new flex and solid brake lines, wheel
and slave cylinders,and master cylinders (brake and clutch) and a rebuilt
booster and calipers. Can't say for sure it'll work flawlessly; the engine
hasn't been spun up yet, but contamination shouldn't be an issue. The
formulation was similar to Pennzoil, etc..  It's labeled as "synthetic" but
I think all modern Dot4 fluids are "synthetic" (which is not the same thing
as the Dot5 Silicone fluid).

I'm sure you'll see lots of opinions. Best bet: a total bleed-out of the old
fluid, and maybe some cylinder rebuilding.

Tom

' 67 Tiger 2 about to be reborn.