Re: [Tigers] Brake Fluid?

To: ora_archy@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake Fluid?
From: Terry Packer <packertl3@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 19:43:32 -0700 (PDT)
Brian

You'll want to consider several things. If you want to minimize your work on a
currently drivable vehicle, just put in dot 3, which is almost certainly
compatible with whatever previous owners have put in. If you need a high
boiling point fluid for heavy duty use like racing, dot 4 is the compatible,
higher boiling point item.

But both types attract water which puddles in low spots and corrodes your brake
components, like pitting your slave cylinders at each wheel. Alternatively, if
all you want a stable system that works fine and never deteriorates over the
long haul, silicon based dot 5 is the way to go. Fortunately for me, the
previous owner installed dot 5. I've continued to use it in my regularly
driven, not raced car for the past 20+ years. The advantage is that it does not
attract water so every time you disassemble the brake system, the components
look virtually like they did when installed. But dot 5 will not accept the heat
load generated by racing. Though there are numerous fine points to weigh, these
are the basic distinctions between the types. Keep in mind dot 3/4 are not
mixable with dot 5. Converting to dot 5 requires a thorough drain and refill of
the system. In addition, others will warn that dot 5 can damage old rubber
components like slave piston seals. In
 my case, I do not believe the p.o. changed every rubber part, yet in 20+ years
this has never arisen on my car. So not sure how much stock to put in this
particular warning.

Good Luck
Terry Packer
9470018